- B.A. — Geology, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey (Meteoritics Thesis; advisor: Dr. Roger Hewins), May 1979
- M.S. — Geology, Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona (Structural and Planetary Geology Thesis; advisor: Dr. Michael Malin), May 1982
- Ph.D. — Geology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana (Geomechanics Dissertation; advisor: Dr. Atilla Aydin), December 1987
- Owner and Principal, Orion Geomechanics (1990–present)
- Senior Research Scientist, Center for Petroleum and Geosystems Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin (2015–2017)
- Principal Geomechanicist, ConocoPhillips Company, Houston, Texas (2011–2015)
- Foundation Professor of Geological Engineering and Geomechanics, Emeritus, University of Nevada, Reno (2011)
- Visiting Professor, Université Montpellier II, France (2011)
- Foundation Professor, University of Nevada, Reno (2010–2011)
- Director of Graduate Programs and Webmaster, Department of Geological Sciences and Engineering, University of Nevada, Reno (2010–2011)
- Coordinator, Geological Engineering Programs, Department of Geological Sciences and Engineering, University of Nevada, Reno (2008–2011)
- Visiting Invited Professor, OrsayTerra, Université Paris-Sud, Orsay (Paris XI), France (2003 and 2007)
- Professor of Geological Engineering and Geomechanics, University of Nevada, Reno (2000–2010)
- Guest Investigator, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Massachusetts & Visiting Research Professor, Geodynamics Labs, Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris VI, France; Sabbatical Leave (academic year, 1998–1999)
- Associate Professor of Geological Engineering, University of Nevada, Reno (1995–2000; tenured in 1995)
- Assistant Professor of Geological Engineering, University of Nevada, Reno (1990–1995)
- NRC Postdoctoral Research Fellow, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Maryland (1988–1990)
- Licensed Professional Geologist (#11755) by the Texas Board of Professional Geoscientists (since April 2014).
- Certificate, “Human Dimensions of Organizations, with concentration in Organizational Improvement,” The University of Texas at Austin (March 2017).
The Organizational Improvement Certificate Program from Human Dimensions of Organizations at UT Austin prepares participants to build and lead better-functioning organizations. Participants are given the tools to 1) influence decision-making and productively manage change, 2) be more capable and ethical leaders during times of adversity and/or transition, 3) communicate effectively, especially in relation to project management, and 4) reduce instances of and minimize the impact of human error.
- Amendt, D.V., P.K. Paul, S. Busetti, and R.A. Schultz (2012), Integrating rock ductility with fracture propagation mechanics for hydraulic fracture design. Intellectual property invention record (IR) patent application, Docket No. IR–41681–USPRO, initiated November 30, 2010, approved by ConocoPhillips for filing for U.S. Patent on November 21, 2011, on file at the U.S. Patent Office, serial number 61/828368.
- Schultz, R.A., K.A. Soofi, and P.H. Hennings (2013), Satellite geodesy and reservoir performance. Intellectual property invention record (IR–42277) patent application, initiated December 18, 2013; approved by ConocoPhillips for filing for U.S. Patent on February 25, 2014; filed for U.S. Patent on December 18,2014; International (PCT) Patent Application Serial Number PCT/US2015/061565 filed November 19, 2015.
Honors and Awards
- Appointed by David Porter, Chairman of the Texas Railroad Commission and Official Representative for the State of Texas, to the Interstate Oil & Gas Compact Commission (IOGCC). Standing Committee appointments include the Energy Resources, Research and Technology Committee and the Environment and Safety Committee.
- Elected Fellow of the Geological Society of America (2016).
- Recipient of the 2016 Completions Optimization and Technology Region Award from SPE’s Gulf Coast North America Region.
- Recipient of multiple awards at ConocoPhillips including Special Recognition Award for Subsurface Containment Analysis of Yuzhno Khylchuyu (YK) field, Russia; SPIRIT Award for Innovation, with Indonesia Water Management Team, for wastewater disposal and field assessment for subsurface containment assurance (highest award at ConocoPhillips for teams that add value through sustained, large-scale integrated effort); Certificate of Appreciation for Company-Wide Knowledge Sharing.
- Awarded Foundation Professor of Geological Engineering and Geomechanics (one of the highest honors given to faculty at the University of Nevada to recognize outstanding and sustained excellence in teaching, research, and service) as internationally recognized authority on geological engineering, structural geology, geomechanics, and planetary geosciences.
- Most Cited Author, Elsevier: Multiple papers published in Tectonophysics and Journal of Structural Geology continue to be top downloads following their publication.
- Founder and Charter Member, American Rock Mechanics Association (1995).
- National Academy of Sciences/National Research Council postdoctoral fellow, at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Maryland.
- David Ross Fellow, Purdue University: Selected for 2-year fully-paid fellowship to support doctoral research following a university-wide competition.
- Panelist, “Rulemakings and Regulations” at the 16th Annual Platts Gas Storage Outlook Conference, Houston, Texas, January 8–9, 2018.
- Expert Witness/Consulting Expert: can opine on geology, geomechanics, and subsurface integrity related to oil and gas fields and underground natural gas storage (since 2016).
- Member of the Natural Gas and Liquids Storage Work Group, sponsored by the Interstate Oil & Gas Compact Commission (IOGCC), StatesFirst, and the Ground Water Protection Council (2016–2017).
- Panelist, “Growing Regulatory Oversight Concerning Gas Storage Well Operations” at the 15th Annual Platts Gas Storage Outlook Conference, Houston, Texas, January 12–13, 2017.
- Co-I on sponsored research from Texas State-wide Center for Integrated Seismicity Research (2016–2017).
- Technical Program Chair, 52nd US Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium, Seattle, Washington, June 17–22, 2018.
- Session Organizer at annual ARMA symposia including the interdisciplinary session on “Subsurface Integrity” (Co-Chaired with U. Mutlu, Rockfield Global Technologies America LLC) at the 50th US Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium, Houston, Texas, June 26–29, 2016.
- Technical Program Committee, Global Geomechanics Workshop, ConocoPhillips, November 2012.
- Editorial Board, Lithosphere (2011–2013).
- Guest Editor, Journal of Structural Geology, special issue on Faulting and Fault Related Processes on Planetary Surfaces, with R.T. Pappalardo and D. Ferrill, (2004–2006).
- Co-Editor, Planetary Tectonics (with T.R. Watters, National Air and Space Museum), a comprehensive treatise on deformation of planets, satellites, and small bodies throughout the solar system, Cambridge University Press (2001–2009).
- Geomechanics Working Group member, NSF NeSS02 Workshop (International Workshop on Neutrinos and Subterranean Science, Washington, DC) to evaluate using the former Homestake gold mine in South Dakota as a deep laboratory for geobiology, geoscience, and high-energy physics (2002).
- Panel member, NASA Mars Data Analysis Program (1999–2000; 2009–2010).
- Panel member, NASA Planetary Cartography and Geologic Mapping Working Group (PCGMWG) (1998–2000).
- Panel member, NASA Planetary Geology and Geophysics Program (1997–1999, 2010).
- Organizer, the Canyonlands Grabens Initiatives, multi-university expeditions in 1996, 1997, and 1999.
- Panel member, NSF Directorate for Engineering, Division of Civil and Mechanical Systems; Geomechanical, Geotechnical, and Geo-Environmental Systems Program (1997).
- Secretary, Commission on Comparative Planetology of the International Union of Geological Sciences (1996–2000).
- Steering Group, Physical Properties of Earth Materials (PPEM) research consortium (1996–1998).
- Invited host and organizer for the international NASA/USGS Venus/Mars Geologic Mappers Meeting in Reno (1996).
- Co-Chair and Co-Editor of Proceedings (with R. Siddharthan, UNR Department of Civil Engineering), 33rd Symposium on Engineering Geology and Geotechnical Engineering (1998).
- Co-Chair and Co-Editor of Proceedings (with J. Daemen, UNR Department of Mining Engineering), 35th U.S. Symposium on Rock Mechanics (1995).
- Associate Editor, Journal of Geophysical Research (rock mechanics) (1993–1996).
- PI or Co-I on sponsored research from NSF, NASA, and DOE (1988–2011).
- Mars ’98 Surveyor Lander Instrument Science Review Panel (1995).
- American Rock Mechanics Association (Founder and Charter Member, since 1996).
- Society of Petroleum Engineers (Professional Member, since 2013).
- International Society for Rock Mechanics (ISRM)
- Interstate Oil & Gas Compact Commission (IOGCC)
- American Association of Petroleum Geologists (Member, since 2013; Charter Member of Reservoir Structure and Geomechanics Division, 2013).
- American Geophysical Union (Member, since 1981); Physical Properties of Earth Materials (PPEM: Steering Group, 1996–1998).
- Geological Society of America (Member, since 1991; Fellow, 2016).