My background and depth of experience in structural geology, geomechanics, fault and fracture mechanics, hydrocarbon production, subsurface integrity, and underground fuel storage have provided me with opportunities to engage through independent consulting work with companies to add value to their operations through short-term project work. These experiences often feed back into my regular responsibilities to add tangible benefits there as well.
I perform technical consulting services for a variety of companies, doing business as Orion Geomechanics. My clients have included:
- Wild Well Control (Houston, Texas): Thermal shock and wellbore integrity
- WSP | Parsons Brinckerhoff (Houston, Texas): reservoir geomechanics (pro bono)
- Geostock Sandia, LLC (Houston, Texas): geomechanics product development for the underground natural gas storage industry
- Weatherford International Customer Advisory Board (Houston, Texas): geomechanics product development
- Shell International Exploration and Production Company (Houston, Texas): deformation and compaction bands in eolian reservoir analogs
- Chevron Petroleum Technology Company (San Ramon, California): deformation at relay-ramps along graben systems; connectivity between structural basins along extensional fault systems
- Newmont Gold Company (Nevada): strength and deformability of the rock mass in open-pit gold mines
- Noranda Exploration, Inc. (Nevada): strike-slip fault-related controls on ore deposits
- Kennecott Exploration Company (Nevada): strike-slip fault-related controls on ore deposits
Expert Witness/Litigation Consultant
My experience from academia and industry as a Subject Matter Expert in geomechanics and geologic subsurface integrity enables me to objectively analyze and confidentially report on factual issues requiring this expertise for a legal engagement.
I have been retained by a major law firm to provide expert opinions on nationally prominent cases involving subsurface integrity.
Working as a consulting expert for either side (Plaintiff or Defendant) is within scope. Identification (or designation) as a testifying expert is available depending on the needs of the legal team for a particular engagement. Rates and related information on engagements are available on request. I fully comply with licensing requirements, conduct, and expectations in the State of Texas of a Professional Geologist (PG) although my work as a litigation consultant and/or expert witness generally does not require such licensing or use of the PG seal. I can engage clients from my office in Houston, Texas.
I can opine on geology, geomechanics, and subsurface integrity related to oil and gas fields and underground natural gas storage. Further information is available on request.